Inter - State Water disputes and Interlinking of Rivers in India
By Shreya Tripathi, N.L.U., Jodhpur
This is article dealing with the two most controversial issues prevailing in the country, i.e., interlinking of rivers in the light of inter-state water disputes.
The article has been divied into five chapters in which the whole issue has been discussed. They are as follows:
- Water laws and federal water institutions
- List I – union list (entry 56)
- List II – state list (entry 17)
- List III – concurrent list (entry 20)
- "Article 246"
"Subject – matter of laws made by Parliament and by Legislatures of States"
- " Article 262: Disputes relating to Water"
- River Boards Act of 1956
- Inter-State Water Disputes Act of 2002
- Standing Committee on Inter-State Issues in Water Resources
- The Sarkaria Commission on Centre- State Relations
- National Water Policy, 2002
- The Krishna-Godavari water dispute
- The Cauvery water dispute
- The Ravi-Beas water dispute
Conflicts and their resolution
- Technical conflict
- Non-technical conflict
- Settlement principle
- Settlement mechanism
Interlinking of rivers
- Himalayan river development
- Peninsular river development
- Task Force
- Advantages and disadvantages